Friday, April 27, 2012

Today in the Life...

OK, it's Friday and today I sat on a panel in front of an audience of people as the expert on Bed Bugs.  The other 3 panels members where 2 attorneys and 1 judge.  The group of people interested in this where part of the 9th Annual Fair Housing Conference for Southwest Michigan.  I was asked to be on the panel by a customer and I am totally flattered about the opportunity to do this.  This is the second time in about 5 months that I have been asked to talk about the bed bug epidemic.  The first time was for the  8th Annual FOCUS-Residential (Management, Clinical & Human Resources) Symposium.

So what does this have to do with racing mountain bikes? Really nothing, but then again everything.  Because I own my own business I get to do things like sit on panels and do presentations for groups of people that value the information and knowledge that I have acquired over the years.  It also allows me to set my own schedule, I can manage my days so that I can get some training in and still be at my kids school and athletics events. 

I have always been of the opinion that I run my business, my business doesn't run me.  I am fortunate for what I have and truly appreciate the staff I have in place at my business.  They make it easy for me to escape once in awhile and get a training ride in.

According to my coach, Mike Schultz, it's all a balance, and you need a balance to keep your life in order and keep things in perspective.  It's not all racing mountain bikes, it's family, friends, and relationships that in the end mean the most.

Right now I am lucky to be who I am... but it has not always been this way. In 2008 I was in the verge of bankruptcy, my business was heavily tied to the construction market, My wife and I went $100,000 in debt and depleted my 401k to save my business and keep it afloat.  I learned a lot about myself during the 2008 to 2010 year time frame, a lot of sleepless nights and worrying about not just me but the people who worked for me and their families too.  Today, Keller Pest Control is a completely different company, a stronger company, a more diverse company.  It took a lot of work and some hard decisions but I have a better company now and I can take some time to smell the roses, so to speak.

Enough of my soapbox, lets go race!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment