Monday, March 25, 2013

Barry-Roubaix 2013, 65 Mile Killer Dirt Road Race

First big race of the year and the weather was totally unpredictable, or should I say the condition of the dirt roads were totally unpredictable.  Days before the race you could have sworn it was going to be a mud fest.

The day before the race.
As it turns out, the promoter had the co-operation of the local road commission and the weather man.  The sun that was due to come out during the race never did and the roads never really softened up... whewwwww!!!



As, a matter of fact some sections of the coarse remained quite icy.  I have been on Barry-Roubaix when the roads are icy and they are no fun.  I have the road scars to prove it.

Needless to say,  I was very hesitant on the first patch of icy road and I let the 40+ age group get away from me at this point.  This was my first race on my new Cannondale SuperX cyclocross bike, or should I say new to me.  I bought the frame off from E-Bay and built it up.

My New CX Bike!
All in all, I had a great ride / race.  I ended up in 64th out of 119 with a time of 3:39:02, 32 minutes behind 1st.  Not to bad considering there where some 40 year old's in my group and I was almost 10 minutes faster than last year. 

As a side note, I started a gluten free diet on March 1st of this year and I have had no stomach issues as of yet.  The real test will come when I go to Cohutta the end of April.



No comments:

Post a Comment