Sunday, May 6, 2012

Fort Custer Stampede... Expert?

Well I took the plunge already, I moved up to Expert for the Fort Custer Stampede.  I called my coach Mike Schultz and we had a talk about what category I should be racing.  After talking about what would be best and we came to the conclusion that I should be racing the longest races I can to prepare for the 100 mile races.

I may not be as competitive in Expert as I would be in Sport, but the extra mileage will be good for me.  I also got a lot of grief from my training partner  Mark Boese for not racing Expert too, oh the peer pressure.  So the night before the race I stopped by Custer Cyclery to ask Dan Stewart if he know how to get a hold of Cathy Needham.  He called Cathy for me and got me moved me from Sport to Expert.

I pre-rode the coarse on Saturday the best I could, it wasn't marked yet when I rode it, but since it's my home track I wasn't too concerned.

I got up Sunday morning and my wife made me some eggs and rice for breakfast.  This was all I ate besides the few cups of coffee that I drank too.

I got to the race sit and set up my easy-up in team row.  I arranged for a spot for my team - Cannondale Midwest Racing with the promoter a few days earlier.  I was there about 2 hours before the race and really had too much time on my hands before I had to get to the starting line.

10:00 am was the start time for the Elite/Expert Categories.  I waited my time until our group was called to the starting line.  As the starter said go, I had a hard time clipping into my pedals and got off to a slow start.  I was next to last going into the single track.  I guess I was in no hurry to get the party started.  I got into a good pace and kept the majority of my field in sight.

Expert Men 40-49 at the Fort Custer Stampede
 It was just one long pace-line for the first 3 miles, that was until we got to Granny's Garden.  This is where 2 assholes from the group behind decided they needed to pass in the tightest most technical part of the coarse.  They cut me off on the inside of a turn which went down into a gully and then made a quick right hand turn with a quick uphill.  The 2 a-holes didn't even make it up the climb and caused everyone behind them to get off their bikes.  While I was off my bike my left pedal got stuck in another guys spokes... Thanks A-Holes (The A-Holes wore black and grey kits, not sure what team they are).

The rest of the race went pretty good, I worked my heart rate up just under my threshold and kept it there the whole race.  I worked hard and kept my lap times within 3 minutes of each other.  I ended up with a total time of 2:07:38 for about 27 miles, 17 minutes behind the leaders.  I ended up 22nd in my age group.  I passed about 10 guys and got clipped at the finish line by 1/10 of a second for 21st. 

I am glad I moved up and found out that I can at least keep up with these guys and not totally embarrass myself.  I guess I'll be racing Expert from here on out.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck bro- it sounds like you're doing it the smart way ( with everyone behind you:)) Congratulations on the self promo

    ReplyDelete